Sunday, August 19, 2012

A year from now, you may wish you started today.

Well I think by now it will be of no surprise to you that I have slipped in my posting again... So here's a rather eclectic, obligatory, catch-you-up-to-date post that will make me feel slightly better about my absence!

I wish I could take credit for this beauty, but the truth is... google image search deserves kudos, not I!


So it's been a good 7 months since my last ramblings, and I've done a wee bit since then. I'm still working, still struggling with guilt (working 6 days a week for a salary less than minimum wage, while your child sits in daycare will do that to you!) but at least I am working. My job is fun and should pave the way for bigger and better things to come, and this is what I remind myself. Sure, I would make more money working in a fast-food joint, but would I be happy doing this? No.

I lost a friend a month ago to an accident overseas. Despite what you might think, me as a former-skydiver and all, you really don't get used to it. Each one hurts as much as the last, and the truth is that I have known too many amazing people to lose their lives too soon. The only thing that reassures me, is that (as clichéd as it is) they really do pass away doing what they love; doing what makes them passionate about life; savouring every breath as it might be their last on this mortal world.

This has made me more determined not to waste what precious seconds I have. Life truly is too short to hold grudges; it's too short to be miserable, and it's certainly too short to be unhappy. Every step that we take, every breath and every beat of your heart is one step closer to ultimate demise. Now some might think that this is relatively morbid and altogether depressing; Not me. I  believe everything in life is a lesson. Each point of your life when you think "seriously, what the Hell else can go wrong now?" is a chance for growth. You might not realise at the time what that lesson is, but if you look close enough you will see it.

These are just reminders to not take everything for granted. At the end of the day, what is life about? It is not about monetary possessions. It's not about status or superiority over another human being. It is about people, and more importantly love.

I've seen the term "YOLO" being bandied about by teenagers, who seem to think "You Only Live Once" means that you should go out and obliterate yourself on drugs and alcohol every night. Wrong. While that may seem a key part of growing up, there is no reason that you should have to get off-your-face to have a good time! To me, "YOLO" means making the most of every situation. Taking every opportunity that comes your way, and not being afraid to tell people that you care about them.

In this society, I think people are too afraid of rejection to actually speak their feelings aloud. This is ridiculous. Life is too short to be living a lie. So go out there, tell that person you love them. Give your children an extra hug and a kiss and let them know you're proud of them. Never walk away angry, fix it. Life is not about who is right, and who is wrong... So don't let a silly argument get in the way of a relationship. I'm living proof of this. My brother and I did not speak for years, over a silly disagreement. I am in the process of putting this right. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what happened. It is in the past for a reason. It is up to us to make the future a brighter and better place, and there is certainly no use in sitting around pointing fingers or blaming our loved ones for past mistakes.

Who cares if someone does not feel the same love you do? Initially it might hurt, but at least you know you feel something. Don't turn it into anger, it's not their fault. Be thankful for the honesty, and move on. Don't lock your emotions away, talk about them! To friends, to family...it doesn't matter. Just don't let them fester and develop into something septic. There really is no point to that!

So in closing, why waste your life in misery? The only person who can make you happy... is YOU. Your life here is short, so make the choice. Release the negativity and embrace happiness. Laugh at every opportunity, and most importantly LOVE YOURSELF. If you don't like something, change it. Simple.


Over and Out.

No comments: